Navigating the toothbrush aisle can be like trying to walk through a maze. With so many different brand names, bristle strengths, handle styles, and more, it can certainly be a journey in finding the perfect toothbrush. The important thing to remember is that everyone is different, so finding the right toothbrush for you depends on what is ideal for you.
Here are some key items to keep in mind when making your way through the aisle, whether you’re shopping for a manual toothbrush or an electric toothbrush.
- A tongue scraper can make a huge difference in the feeling of cleanliness after brushing. Usually located on the backside of the brush, this can be used to remove buildup from your tongue.
- Floss tip bristles can reach even deeper than normal bristles, meaning you’ll get a better clean between teeth.
- Many varieties of bristle strength can be found, usually listed at the top of the brush packaging. Depending on what you prefer or what your dentist recommends, easy, medium, or hard bristles can impact your brushing in different ways.
- Brush handles create maximum dexterity in your ability to maneuver your brush around your teeth. Find a handle that fits well in your hand, and gives you just the right amount of bend without being too pliant.
- Consider the power source of your electric toothbrush purchase. Battery-operated toothbrushes are more portable, but rechargeable options give you the simplicity of charging overnight.
- Soft-grip handles create a better brushing experience, as hard handles can be uncomfortable for people with arthritis or those who have a hard time with their grip.
- A number of brushing modes may translate to a deeper clean, as you’re able to switch head directions or rhythms.
- Built-in timers offer the ability to time your brushing, making sure that you’re getting the full two minutes each and every time.
Finding the perfect toothbrush for you is important, but much of the decision comes down to personal preference. Knowing about the different options out there is step one, however, and now you have a basic knowledge of what to look for to find your ideal toothbrush, whether you prefer manual or electric.
At Fisher Pointe Dental, we know more than our fair share about toothbrushes. In fact, we can tell you all about the process of finding the perfect toothbrush that will address your specific dental needs. Contact us to find out more about what you should look for in a toothbrush, as well as to schedule a dental cleaning with one of our skilled hygienists.